Tuesday 5 March 2013

Bohermeen 1/2 Marathon Report

So as you probably know most of in Star of the Sea have been targeting our early 2013 training towards this race. Training had gone pretty well for me considering the time of year and all that. I was looking to run in and around 1:40 if I could but was conscious despite 250 miles since the start of the year most of these were about endurance and not so much speed or tempo work. In truth if I could have got out of the race in the couple of days before I probably would have (probably not really). I travelled over to Bohermeen with Ken and had a good chat about some things other than running. Getting ready it was hard to believe how many from Star of the Sea were running. Was great to chat with everyone even if the nerves were more evident in some rather than others. Anyway we made our way down to the start and the race went something like the below.

13.17 miles in 1:39:27

Lap Paces:

7:25, 7:29, 7:28, 7:30, 7:29, 7:33, 7:35, 7:33, 7:40, 7:46, 7:36, 7:40, 7:32, 6:46

After the usual clamour at the start where you have to get past the people starting too far forward the first time I checked my watch I was running at 7:30 pace. This was perfect so just tried to maintain this for the first mile and not go off too quick. Spotted Rosemary just ahead of me and I knew she was aiming for the same sort of target as me. Joined up with her after around 1/2 mile and after a bit of a chat we settled into a steady pace. First few miles went ok  and we didn't really have to adjust our effort to match the pace too much. Although we were running side by side there wasn't too much chat as I think we were both pretty much flat out. Even as early as the 4th mile I was having doubts of maintaining the pace for the duration.

I just focused on clocking off each mile one by one as they mostly came in under the target of 7:38. I was conscious though as we'll that you always run further because of not taking exact racing line etc. so although we were banking seconds each lap it was not a whole lot.

Felt strong coming past the clubhouse to end the first loop and7 miles shortly after it. In reality I think this was just the great support giving a bit of a temporary boost. I was definitely in a world of pain at this stage and had a bit of a wobble after 8 miles and lost a bit of ground on Rosemary. Started picking up a bit of a stitch then but worked on the breathing and this passed soon enough from what I remember.

Mile 9 was the first mile outside the target pace in 7:40 and mile 10 slipped to 7:46. Although I was working hard I was definitely flagging and felt like it was going to be a struggle home from here, at the same time Rosemary was maybe 20 metres ahead but the gap didn't seem to be growing hugely or closing at all for that matter.

As I passed the 10 mile marker I heard this voice from behind me telling me 3 sub 8 miles and I'd be grand. I recognised the voice as a friend of mine Matt who was running the race coming back from injury. I think I was barely able to acknowledge him as he came up on my shoulder. What he did do though was get me going again as I tried to match his pace. Slowly but surely the pace began to drop again and mile 11 & 12 were 7:36 & 7:40 which was more than acceptable as it included the hill on the course. We had joined up with Rosemary again at this stage and all that was left was the long straight road that seemed to go on forever.

Still though there is something about knowing the suffering is nearly over and I was just trying to keep the pace consistent which I knew should be enough to get me under 1:40. Got to the last mile marker and there was a bit of a crowd now and then turned down the finishing chute and tried to put in some sort of quicker finish. Stopped the watch bent over in 2 and was happy to see 1:39:27 showing. My next thought was to look behind me and was thrilled Rosemary had come in just behind me and also within the 1:40 time. I know without her and Matt during the race I probably wouldn't have gotten under 1:40.

Was great to catch up with everyone after the race and hear of all the wonderful times & PB's especially from Karen Lavelle who came 4th and the ladies team who came 2nd overall as well. Well done ladies.

So that was the day that was. It was a tough one and the body is sore after it and despite vowing to never race again during the race I'm sure that won't last.... 

Now where are those golf clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment